Dec 30, 2009

Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes



These cupcakes were great! I made them for a Christmas party one weekend and took the rest with me to school the following Monday . . . they were gone in just a couple of hours. I don't remember how I found the recipe, but I got it off the internet. I tweaked it a little (of course), and here is the end result. Have fun!

Dr. Pepper Cherry Chocolate Cupcakes 

2 1/2 cups Dr. Pepper
1/2 cup maraschino cherry syrup
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
2 cups sugar
pinch of salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 cup sour cream
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 cups flour
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. In a medium saucepan, bring to a boil the Dr. Pepper and cherry syrup. Place unsweetened chocolate and butter in a large mixing bowl. Pour hot Dr. Pepper and cherry syrup mixture over the chocolate and butter. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes or until chocolate is melted. Whisk mixture until smooth. Stir in sugar, salt, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, sour cream, and vanilla. Add flour in 2 parts, alternating with the eggs. Mix until smooth. (The mixture will be runny.) Fill cupcake cups about 3/4 full. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until knife inserted in the middle comes out clean.

Cherry Frosting
1 stick butter, softened
2 cups powdered sugar
splash of milk
1 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. maraschino cherry syrup

In medium mixing bowl, mix powdered sugar and butter. Add a splash of milk and mix until smooth. Add in vanilla and cherry syrup. Add more powdered sugar or milk until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost cupcakes, sprinkle with red sprinkles, and top with a maraschino cherry. 

1 comment:

  1. I made these today, I love your directions really easy to follow and really good.

    ReplyDelete