The title of this post is a play off of Semi-Homemade Cooking with Sandra Lee, on the Food Network. Sandra Lee uses 70% ready-made products and 30% fresh ingredients in her cooking. We like to call her the lush chef because she makes a cocktail to go with every meal, and even makes "kiddie cocktails" for the young'ns. Sandra Lee also decorates her kitchen and table with her theme of the meal, and dresses in a coordinating outfit. Quite the show! While I will probably never go to as much trouble as she does, I like the idea of making these great meals using some pre-made ingredients.
Tonight I made my mom's shepherd's pie. We were watching the food network last week, they were talking about it, and I suddenly started really craving my mom's shepherd's pie. As always, she came to the rescue and emailed her recipe to me. Here it is! It's very easy to make, and I love that you can make as much or as little as you need. I'll give you my mom's recipe, and then how I made it "semi-homemade."
1-2 lbs. ground beef (I'd use 1 pound for an 8" square pan, 2 pounds for a 9"x13" pan.)
4+ potatoes (I used Ore Ida Steam n' Mash potatoes. 10 minutes in the microwave=done!)
1 can tomato soup
1 can corn (I used frozen corn.)
1 can green beans (I used frozen green beans.)
salt and pepper to taste
chili powder to taste
Brown ground beef in skillet until cooked through. Add tomato soup. (Don't make the soup, just pour it in straight from the can. I did add about 1/4 cup milk to make a little extra sauce.) Add salt, pepper, and chili powder to taste. Meanwhile, cook potatoes and mash with milk, butter, and salt and pepper to taste. In baking dish (8" or 9"x13"), spread corn and green beans. Top with meat mixture. Cover with mashed potatoes and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbly. Sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and put back in oven until cheese is melted.

No comments:
Post a Comment