Jan 18, 2011

Natalie's Favorite Things


No, this isn't Oprah's favorite things, and I won't be giving one of everything away to the two people who read this. For this post, I decided to share a few of my favorite tools and gadgets in the kitchen. I love things that make cooking (and cleaning) easier which, in turn, makes it more enjoyable. I'll also be sharing a few items from my current wish list.


This little guy has come in very handy. Last year at my work Christmas party, someone brought this as their white elephant gift. The person who got it was mocking it, and I was too embarrassed to admit how much I wanted it to steal it from her when it was my turn. I use onions a lot in my cooking because I love the flavor it adds to my dishes. I put onions in sloppy joes, spaghetti, scalloped potatoes (with bacon ... try it!), and many other things. I probably use this at least once a week ... maybe more. Cut an onion into 2-3 sections (depending on the size), place one piece at a time on the blade, and press the lid down. Voila! You have a nicely chopped onion in seconds. Literally. And the fact that it's dishwasher safe makes it even better!
 


My next friend is the Cuisinart Sandwich Grill. I know, grilled cheese sandwiches aren't exactly difficult to make; however, you can't beat the chewy/crunchy texture this creates. We've done the traditional grilled cheese, bacon grilled cheese, grilled ham and cheese, and even stuffed french toast with berries and cream cheese. Yum!



And who doesn't love a good KitchenAid mixer? I had a hard time in college because I had never made cookies without a KitchenAid. Seriously. When we got married, my grandma gave us a KitchenAid mixer, and we use it all the time. We even bought some nice little attachments--the ice cream maker and slicer/shredder--to get the most out of this wonderful creation. Unfortunately our cupboards aren't high enough, or I would leave this out on the kitchen counter at all times. Love it, love it, love it! 




And for my newest love ... the Cuisinart Griddler. I saw this in a magazine sometime during the fall and fell in love with it. It immediately went on my Christmas list. I had a George Foreman-type grill that I definitely liked; however, it was a pain to clean because you couldn't lay it out flat or remove the grill to wash it in the sink or dishwasher. The Griddler does everything! You can grill from both sides, griddle from both sides, use it as a panini press, or use it as an open grill, open griddle, or open half grill/half griddle. Wow! And .... drum roll ... you can remove the plates and put them in the dishwasher! I've only used it a few times, but trust me ... I'm looking for every opportunity I can to use it!

3 comments:

  1. Yaaay I found your blog again. I lost all of my blog addresses with a computer issue we had a while ago, and then we moved, etc etc, and anyway I saw the link to your blog on gmail and now I can look at your yummy recipes again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE the Onion Chopper. I use it for more than just onions. I've had it since probably 2006 when my step mom got it from her friend and she didn't want it. She was practically begging me to take it. We've chopped apples for apple strudel, green peppers for white chili, carrots, and many other things. It's awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you change your mind about giving one of those away to all the people who read your blog, just know that I read your blog too. :D
    I don't have any of 's those...maybe that's why I don't like cooking as much as you.

    ReplyDelete