Sep 8, 2011

Something a Little Different

It's fall! And I'm back! I took my summer vacation very seriously ... I didn't write a single blog post. Oops! I did cook a lot though, and have some good stuff coming up. Just you wait!

I did spend some time doing some other things in the kitchen and thought I'd share some of them with you. The first thing I did was  finally finish a blanket for my mom. A little background information ... when I was in high school my mom started cutting denim squares out of our old jeans. When we'd wear out a pair, she'd cut out more squares. She had a ton! The summer after my freshman year at BYU, I went home and worked two jobs and had no friends. I needed something to do, so I took those denim squares and made a blanket, which my mom let me keep. I always felt bad about it since she put so much work into cutting the squares out and did a lot to help me make my blanket. I decided to start cutting out squares and make a blanket to give to her. It was going to be a Mother's Day present last year ... then a Christmas present ... then a birthday present ... and finally a Mother's Day present this year ... a Mother's Day in July present :) I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. I had a rough time with the binding, but it's not like you sit there with a blanket and inspect the binding, right? Right??



The next project I did is a wall hanging for our bedroom. We have one (I counted) thing hanging on the wall in our bedroom. Boring! I saw this photo plaque kit on Poppy Seed Projects and decided I could improvise a little and make my own. Between double coupons on Tuesday and Saturday at Roberts and 40% of coupons for Hobby Lobby, and getting the pictures printed at Costco, I spent around $12 on the project. I can totally handle that! I love how it turned out, and I pretty much want to make one for every person I know!

 (front)

(back)


Last but not least ... a project I decided to do yesterday. And I did it today. I was in Michael's yesterday and there were some gorgeous fall wreaths. The wreath we have on our door has been there for about two years and was looking pretty tired!  There were several there that I liked, but they were (at least) $29.99. Not happening! I started looking around more and decided I could easily buy the wood wreath, some flowers and ribbon, and make my own for about half the cost. And it would be exactly how I wanted it! I talked to Philip about it and went back today (with coupons in hand!) and bought the supplies. Total cost: $15.81. Perfect! And now for some during and after pictures (I forgot the before pictures, but they really wouldn't have been that exciting).





4 comments:

  1. You are so crafty! Way to go! I LOVE LOVE LOVE your wedding picture project, it's adorable! I need to motivate myself to do some cute projects like this, minus the quilting. I have NO sewing abilities at all! hehe ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. cute cute stuff! If you really want to make one for everyone you know you can certainly start with me!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I'm impressed! I love the wreath (of course), and the blanket is so cute. I love the cherry fabric. Way to be crafty.

    ReplyDelete